Simple Cable Cowl

This cabled cowl looks complicated, but if you can cable, it is super simple. Two different sizes of cables step the cowl up a notch. 
I used one skein of RedHeart Soft in Berry with size 8 circular needles. 
CO 140 longtail, join without turning. 

Row 1,2,3,5,6,7: *k8, p4, k4, p4, k4,p4; rep from * to end around

Row 4: *k8, p4, c4b, p4, c4b, p4; rep from * to end around

Row 8: *c8b, p4, c4b, p4, c4b, p4; rep from * to end around

C4b: sl 2 sts to cn, hold to back, k2 from lh needle, k2 from cn

C8b: sl 4 sts to cn, hold to back, k4 from lh needle, k4 from cn

You can also cable without the needle. This is how I do it personally. There are a ton of tutorials and videos online to teach you how to do this. 
Rep rows 1-8 until you have reached your desired width. 

BO loosely, or using JSSBO. Fasten off and weave in all ends. 
My finished cowl is 26" around and 10" wide. 
Knitting with two different cables adds a lot of interest to the texture. Cables are one of my favorite knitting textures!
Enjoy!
Xoxo, Alyssa 

Comments

  1. Love this but a little confused about the cable part.
    It states: C8b: sl 4 sts to cn, hold to back, k4 from lh needle, k2 from cn.
    What happens to the 2 stitches still on the cn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was just a typo! Thanks for notifying me! I fixed it, so it should be right now.

      Delete
  2. I'm not understanding row 4. does c4b mean put 4 st. to back on cable needle then perl it off needle? could you email me...horseyfolks@gmail.com Thank you so much. I love pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the directions for c4b above, with the pattern. Slip two sts to the cable needle, knit two from the left hand needle, then knit two from the cable needle.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I didn't realize you put the directions "after"pattern instructions. Normally those directions come before I start pattern. I understand now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts